Rock on, Betty White

If there’s one thing the people of America need to say to Betty White, it’s “thank you for being a friend.”

The 88-year-old has had a resurgence of popularity in recent years, particularly with young people who were not previously exposed to her career.

Featured in popular movies such as “The Proposal” and the soon to be released “You Again,” White’s fame has skyrocketed, making her a household name, and providing many new fans.

“She’s hilarious and if she were forty years younger, she would be amazing,” said junior Daniel Breedlove.

Betty White originally gained fame on the 1970s hit, “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” and her popularity grew even more when she played Rose Nylund on “The Golden Girls.” After the conclusion of these television favorites, White’s fame was enough to keep her popular, providing guest voice over spots on “The Simpsons” and “Family Guy.”

In January, a campaign was started by fans on Facebook that begged NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” to feature Betty White as the host. That May, their efforts paid off.

White became the oldest person to ever host “Saturday Night Live,” bringing in the highest ratings in two years. The performance was so memorable that White won an Emmy in the Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series category.

During the Super Bowl, she was featured in a Snickers commercial that won the top spot on the USA Today Super Bowl Ad Meter.

White is an avid animal rights activist. She has posed for a calendar for the Morris Animal Foundation, featuring her posing with various animals. The profits from the calendar went to the foundation, dedicated to help animals in need.

In July, White launched her own clothing line with products featuring her face. The money earned from these purchases was then donated to animal charities she supports.

“She’s the epitome of humor,” said senior Jessica Friedel. “She’s sassy and classy.”

Even at 88, Betty White is regarded as one of the funniest contemporary actors today, having a hotter career than starlets half (and a fourth) of her age.

Her hit sitcom on TV Land, “Hot in Cleveland,” was recently renewed for a season two that commences filming this October. White also appeared in this seasons premiere of NBC’s “Community.”

“I think she’s awesome,” said senior Kristine Krieger, “because she’s Betty White.”