Festival-goer’s survival guide

Parting with a couple hundred bucks is not something I’m willing to do every day.

For a few special occasions, I will open my wallet and willingly shell out my money. One in particular that I’ll happily pay for is an upcoming music festival.

To an avid music fan, a three day festival is everything you could ask for. Combining all your favorite bands, rowdy crowds and disgusting, yet surprisingly delicious food can make for the weekend of a lifetime, but you have to do it right.

Before you plan your weekend adventure, pick a festival that is right for you. From Bonnaroo to Ozzfest, there’s something out there for everyone. Take into consideration your style, the time of the year, and location; you don’t want to end up driving a hundred miles to see bands you don’t even really like. So choose something that means a lot to you, and don’t waste your time, effort and cash on a lineup that could very well be terrible.

Once you have found your perfect festival and arrive on time, the first thing to remember is to bring water. Hydration is extremely important, and when you spend the weekend standing up in a group of people packed as tight as sardines in a can, you overheat easily. If the venue allows it, bring your own liquids.

Be prepared to maneuver around the strange occurrences that could leave you with no water. Just last week I was at  the Voodoo Experience Festival that shut off the pipes in its City Park location, making the use of water fountains impossible for those attending the three day concert. At three dollars a bottle, you’ll run out of money quickly, which is pretty stupid for something as worthless as water.

The food is another story; 10 dollar burgers that are mediocre and sodas at five bucks a can also waste money. Half the time, you’re so hungry from your constant dancing that it won’t even matter.

For those lucky enough to pick an event that is catered or actually offers something appetizing, rejoice. At least your 30 dollars will go towards food that you enjoy.

Another key part of a festival experience is minding your manners. Basic concert etiquette includes not shoving people out of their spaces, taking off tall hats that block views and not singing louder than the band. Unfortunately not all those in attendance will get this memo.

Last, but not least, the most important thing about going to a festival is to enjoy the bands. How often do you actually get to hear the music you listen to in a live, enthusiastic zone?

All the people who show up are there for the same reason as you, devotion to the band. Make friends! Don’t think you’re too cool to dance!

Part of the festival atmosphere is that you exit the mundane reality of your everyday life. Embrace this alternative world and groove, I dare you. Trust me, it’s wonderful. Committing to a festival requires only one thing: dropping your inhibitions at the door and having a great time.