Hoppus not hot at hosting: New Fuse show fails to entertain viewers

After weeks of anxious waiting, Fuse TV’s premiered “A Different Spin” with blink-182’s Mark Hoppus as its host.

Hoppus does it all. As a bass player, singer and music producer, he’s a classic renaissance man. For weeks I was anticipating this show; Mark Hoppus plus one hour of music news? You can’t go wrong there.

Hoppus opened the show with supposedly humorous co-host Amy Shumer. Hoppus reports entertainment, while Shumer provides the comic relief, or so the theory goes.

I was not impressed. Her attempt at humor came off as trying way too hard to get a couple of laughs. You have to give her some credit though; she is competing with the undeniable charm and laugh-out-loud humor of Mark Hoppus. The show started with news that varied from the National Air Guitar Competition to Guns and Roses getting pegged with water bottles.

A live performance by the indie-rock band Neon Trees followed. The band seemed promising with good live vocals and upbeat foot-tapping songs like “Animals” and “1983”. It was actually the highlight of the night.

Hoppus then proceeded to the interview portion of the show with questions for singer John Mayer about his love life. And as ten million teenage girls listened attentively to Mayer and furiously scribbled down his love advice, I could not help but notice Hoppus’s pants, I mean capris, I mean leggings. It’s okay, he’s Mark Hoppus.

The interview was boring and John Mayer was unoriginal. The show was like the bad car crash that you can’t turn away from.

A quick report of summer’s hottest song’s and an anticipated album countdown ended the show. Katy Perry’s, “California Gurls” was the number one song of the summer, shocker.

The show turned out to be a big disappointment with dry humor and lame music reports.

My solution: find a new co-host, report real news and highlight more music.

If you’re contemplating whether or not to watch the show, consider whether you are watching just to see Mark Hoppus or if you are looking for a good weekly musical report with focus on cool new bands. Trust me it’s one to skip if you’re in for the second reason.