MTV’s touching reality show fails to impress: ‘If You Really Knew Me’ has trouble fitting in with fans despite its emotional relevence for teenagers who struggle with making connections

MTV has created reality shows like “The Buried Life” and “Jersey Shore” that are so popular, they decided to make a new one with a different spin on it.

This new show is entitled “If You Really Knew Me.” It focuses on different high schools and their attempts to break down the stereotypes that are typically associated with high school, such as “the jocks, the nerds, and the burnouts.”

The MTV cameras follow around students from each clique to find the back story on their personal life in an attempt to make the students realize their not as different as they think. In an early episode filmed at Riverside High School in Belle, Virginia, the show profiled the lives of the popular prom queen, a class clown, an outcast, a punk and a so called “creeker,” which is a person who lives by the town’s local creek.

The show goes to a certain high school and has a “Challenge Day” where members of the staff come to the school and set up activities that allow students to allow students to reveal their true personal life to their peers.

Often times, students were not aware of the struggles their peers have had in their past personal life, and the depression that many of them suffer due to these problems.

Depression is a serious problem in the US. Our suicide rate among the highest in the world. Nearly 35,000 people took their life in the year 2008 alone and teenagers take up a huge percentage of these numbers.

This show hopes to show the teenagers at these schools that there will always be people to help them and that people in their community will always be there to help them out.

With this being said, I do not think the overall message of the show is one that we should be sending to already hormone driven, unstable teenagers that generally watch MTV. While I do understand that some people have difficult lives, it is my believe that no matter how traumatizing your upbringing was, it could have been worse.

The concept of the show is a good one, show teens how they have each other to lean on when times are tough. In our dog eat dog world, teenagers often feel like are on their own when it comes to the problems they face. Although it is a good idea, this show has trouble differentiating between students who are seriously depressed and feeling sorry for yourself, this show borders on the latter.

I liked the idea of this show more so than how it was delivered. I recommend that MTV sticks with their fist pumping guidos on “Jersey Shore” instead of trying to make a difference with their reality shows.