Spears did it again

I guess I should point out that I am not an undying fan of Britney Spears, but not necessarily a hater either. I can tolerate her, when it comes to pop music, she’s better than the rest.

Just in case you have been living under a rock for the past decade, Spears has sold over 100 million records worldwide and like most celebrities, hit rock bottom at some point in his or her career.

For Spears, it was in 2007 when attending rehab after shaving her head and having dealt with family trauma. All of this is neither here nor there, so I’ll move on.

Spears’ new single, “Hold It Against Me,” premiered on January 11 courtesy of Jive records. It was written by a number of songwriters including Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Bonnie McKee and Billboard. Though it was only produced by Dr. Luke, Martin and Billboard.

The music video, which premiered on February 17, was directed by Jonas Akerlund and choreographed by Brian Friedman. The video depicts Spears as a pop star that fell down to Earth to find a life full of fame and glamour.  

“Such an incredible experience,” said Spears on her Twitter account, “I think this will be one of the best videos I have ever done.”

Though I have not seen the music video quite yet, my personal opinion of the song is that it is good, catchy even, just not necessarily my taste.

I respect Spears as an artist though. She manages to work though her problems and creates amazing music for the masses. 

Spears’ music always has an addictive beat—her songs make you want to bob your head and immediately start singing along even when you don’t know the words. I have to respect her for that; her songs get your attention. They definitely are specific to her; when listening to the radio, you can pick out what song was hers, no questions asked.

Spears has grown as an artist over the years; when you look back at her early years singing “Oops!…I Did It Again,” you can’t help but think how different she, as a person, has become but that her music remains signature to her classic identity.

All in all, as an artist she’s left a great legacy and probably will keep it going for a long, long time.