Fairytales becoming a reality: Hollywood is remaking classics into modern originals

Oh my, what big teeth you have.

Recently old classics have been hitting the big screen with a new twist. The originals “Little Red Riding Hood” and “Beauty and the Beast,” have been redone for an older audience, “Red Riding Hood” and “Beastly.”

“Beastly”  is based off of a 2007 book by Alex Flinn, who researched many versions of “Beauty and the Beast” before writing her novel. The plot is very close to that of the original fairytale but set in modern times in New York City.

A popular, handsome and rich high school student is cursed with bad looks for two years unless someone loves him for who he is and proves her love with a kiss. The moral of the story is that love is more than skin deep, and we shouldn’t judge people by their appearance.

It helps when the film stars hottie Alex Pettyfer as the “beastly” looking boy and Vanessa Hudgens as the “beauty.” We all know the ending to this classic love story, but I won’t ruin it for you.

“Red Riding Hood” is much like the original tall tale, with some added mystery and flare. The original story is a fable over 700 years old and tells the unfortunate tale of a little girl’s journey to Grandma’s where she encounters a wolf.

Amanda Seyfried plays a young woman in a medieval village haunted by a werewolf who is killing the townspeople on nights of the full moon. The twist is that the werewolf can disguise himself as mortal during the day, so no one is safe. Of course, there is a love story mixed in while the villagers hunt for the undercover werewolf. The new movie is by the same director as “Twilight,” so it is sure to be a tween favorite.

In my opinion, save your money and stick to the classics. Both movies are extremely cheesy with predictable endings. Of course, there will be the boy crazy young girls who can’t get enough of it, but the intended audience of young adults was a miss.