Seasonal movies among christmas traditions

Junior+Ashley+Weare+poses+with+one+of+her+favorite+Christmas+movies.++%E2%80%9CRudolph%E2%80%9D+is+one+of+the+many+holiday+movies+that+have+cemented+themselves+as+seasonal+traditions+in+households+across+the+country.+

Photo courtesy of Safia Abdulahi

Junior Ashley Weare poses with one of her favorite Christmas movies. “Rudolph” is one of the many holiday movies that have cemented themselves as seasonal traditions in households across the country.

Jamie Bishop, Oracle Online Editor

Students are excited for the holidays, because with their favorite holidays come their favorite holiday movies. The season has come to snuggle up with your favorite blanket and a smoking hot cup of cocoa.

The love of Christmas movies began in 1898 when George Albert Smith became the first person to play the well-known Santa Clause in the movie “Santa Clause.” Soon, a fan favorite called “A Christmas Carol,” was made in 1908. Although the students and teachers don’t pay much attention to the history and background of their favorite holiday movies, without the first Christmas movie, there couldn’t be any others.

Many of the students have made watching their favorite seasonal movies a tradition for years.

“My favorite holiday movie is ‘A Christmas Story’ because it’s really funny. Five years ago, it was on during a Christmas party and we watched it. Now, we watch it every year,” said sophomore Matt Bock.

Some students looked back and reminisced their favorite memories with their families. Something about staying in with their families and having a nice warm cup of hot chocolate makes the holidays more fun.

The students’ favorite movies have become a family tradition. It would not feel like the holidays if they did not have the classics.

“My favorite movie is ‘Elf’ because it’s hilarious and I love Buddy. He’s hilarious. I watch it with my sister and my little brother every year. We drink milk and cookies and order pizza,” said junior Antonella Saavedra.

The students aren’t the only ones excited for the upcoming holidays. The teachers have fond memories of their favorite movies. They even remember the first time they watched it and why they liked the movie so much.

“I like ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ because it’s romantic. The first time I saw it I was in college, it was visually very striking and I liked Danny Elfmans’ music,” said Susan Salpini.

The generations before students born in the 21st century have different tastes in movies. Some teachers enjoy movies off the effects and music incorporated into the movies.

In a poll of students’ favorite types of holiday movies the majority of students enjoy funny movies like ‘Elf.’ The second favorite category is emotional and heartwarming movies. Not many students like dark movies like Tim Burton’s famous movie, ‘The Nightmare Before Christmas.’ This poll included about 20-30 students.

The holidays aren’t complete without the movies. The movies bring a lot of joy and Christmas spirit to people all over world. To many people, these celebratory movies are just as important as any other element of the holidays.

“They’re important because they get you in the spirit of the holidays and teach a good lesson. Holidays movies bring families together and help families bond,” said senior Sophia Cronin.