Fresh face in biology classes: Students welcome new biology teacher, Erin Mears

During that dreaded time of year when you take that first step into the science hallway and get a nice whiff of dissection preservative, it will no longer be coming from the room of Ann Wong, but rather from the classroom of a new edition to the Biology staff—Erin Mears.

Wong is now part of the school’s tech program. While we will all miss our favorite Milken Award-winning teacher, Mears has come all the way from North Texas, where she taught at Coppell High School.

She is adjusting well to this new endeavor even though her time here has been short.

“The students and staff have been very friendly and helpful,” said Mears.

Although the new surroundings may take a little getting used to, the job is one she is happily familiar with.

Mears has taught Biology for five years now,  and knows what methods to use so students stay interested in the subject.  

She has always wanted to be a teacher and biology is her niche.

She is interested in how things work and likes the fact that Biology allows her to pass along this interest to students.

Working with students can be a very stressful job, but it can also be very rewarding when students need someone to talk to or to look up to.

“I like giving the students hands on activities,” said Mears. “The students also have the opportunity to design their own experiments.”

“I like being a teacher so I can be a positive role model and interact with my students,” said Mears.

As there would be in any transition, especially one half-way across the country, there are a few things that are very different from the previous school she taught at.

“West Springfield is smaller than Coppell,” said Mears, “and [WS] is a little more laid back.”