New committee helps teachers stay active

The story of Physics teacher Ed Linz’s heart transplant in September of 1994 is a familiar one. However, while the traumatic experience has motivated him to spread healthy habits to the community, it is not the chief reason he dedicates so much time to the Health and Wellness Committee.

“I enjoy life, said Linz. “I want to live until the end of my time and that is not today.”

Under Linz’s guidance, the Health and Wellness Committee has expanded their interaction from providing in-school flu shots to organize multiple ways for the staff to get active.

Over the years, the Committee organized a volleyball game that pitted department against department and is currently looking into setting up a teacher “boot camp” for which they are hoping employ Army officers.

As a part of the Committee’s program, every Tuesday a group of teachers congregate in the cafeteria where a professional runs Zumba classes.

Zumba, a type of exercise-dance that has grown massively in popularity over recent years, includes international and Latin music for the teachers to dance to.

“He [Mr. Linz] really pushed fitness and gives lots of opportunities [to improve] and offers incentives to the staff,” said English teacher Mary Wynne, a regular participant of the Zumba class.

The Committee gathers so much participation because they strive to make their activities convenient to staff members. Zumba classes are easy to fit around work schedules, which is convenient for teachers. The teachers also like to location because, unlike many schools, flu shots are given right down the hall.

Whenever possible, the Committee also tries to stimulate social interaction during their fitness activities. Over Columbus Day, they led a small group of teachers on a ten mile hike up Old Rag Mountain.

After stopping for a lunch at the top with a beautiful view of Shenandoah National Park they retraced their steps back to the bottom, completing the 20-mile round trip.

As the leader of staff health awareness, the Health and Wellness Committee’s main goal is “to offer opportunities for faculty and staff to improve their health,” said Linz.