Beloved teacher says goodbye to the classroom

For the past 14 years, students have entered room 66 to Biology teacher Ann Wong’s excited smile. This year, Wong shines from a different corner of the school: the SBTS room.

As the school’s School Based Technology Specialist, Wong helps the staff utilize the technology available to them. In short, she is a trainer and a manager, a troubleshooter and a collaborator; a big change from teaching students about mitosis and animal kingdoms.

“I’m busy all day, but it’s a different kind of busy from being a teacher,” said Wong.

Last December, Wong won the Milken Family Foundation Educator Award, an award given to a select group of outstanding teachers.

Leaving the classroom a year after receiving a teaching award seems contradictory, but Wong said the award motivated the change.

In May, Wong and her fellow award winners were flown out to California for the ceremonies. After acknowledging the teachers for their achievements, the Milken Family Foundation asked them to stretch their boundaries and help their fellow teachers reach the Milken standards. Their words inspired Wong.

“I started to think, what else can I do? One of the things they talked to us about was ‘now what,’” said Wong.

Wong began exploring opportunities in the county, but was unable to find any job she could imagine herself enjoying for the next few years.

Then Susan Latour, who for many years was the school’s SBTS, left, leaving the SBTS position open. The job fit perfectly with Wong’s needs, allowing her to work closely with the teachers she hoped to improve.

However, the job change is not without its drawbacks.

“The one thing I miss the most is the direct interaction,” said Wong. “I miss seeing the excitement in their [the students] eyes. I keep telling myself that by helping the teachers I help bring that spark.”

Three months into her new job, Wong continues to work towards the goal of professional development among the staff. Despite missing the classroom, Wong feels she ultimately made the right decision and looks forward to her next few years as an SBTS.

“My heart truly does belong in the classroom,” said Wong. “But I thought I owed it to myself professionally and personally to try something else.”