Custodians are our unsung heroes

It’s a dirty job and someone has to do it; it’s time to show the custodians the love that they deserve.
Maintaining a school that harbors over 2,000 students is no easy task, but the custodians handle all problems that come with managing our messes and our decrepit school. The team works together to ensure that all issues are addressed and that the students are as safe as can be.
“I’ve been here for three weeks, there’s always room for improvement in the building. We have a very good staff because they work together and in order to accomplish goals, you have to be able to work together,” said building supervisor Russel Wade.
The day begins for the custodian crew at 5:45 in the morning, and while the school is clean from the night shift, there is still much to do before the start of class at 7:20. They tirelessly work to perfect small details that the average student may not recognize or take for granted.
“When we come in the morning to open the building and unlock the doors, we turn on all of the lights, prepare the kitchen, and clean the locker rooms to make sure that everything is ready for the school day,” said custodian Douglas Gomez.
Their efforts to preserve the school are not only made to make it appear much better, but also because a clean school is a safe school. Injuries are less likely to occur and the custodians work with the security staff in order to prevent possible threats from even occurring, on school grounds and the surrounding area.
“During the day, they maintain the cafeteria, manage the trash, clean tables, and keep the lobbies and windows clean,” said Wade. “Security makes sure that the doors are locked to keep strangers from entering. We manicure the outside as well because people like to hide behind bushes and because we find glass bottles and debris a lot.”
The custodians believe that the WS students are more respectful and responsible than students at other schools. There are things that students can do to help them such as throwing away the trays when lunch is over, pushing chairs in, not flushing toilet paper rolls down the toilet or defecating the bathroom floor, and staying out of the school during the football games to prevent getting locked in.
“I find the kids here very respectful, I have not talked to them a lot but through observing them I can tell that they are very respectful,” said Wade.
When class competitions, senior pranks, or birthday well wishes occur, students should keep in mind that the custodians are ones who end up cleaning up their mess. It is time that students start to take others into consideration, especially the custodians.
“As long as it is safe and does not harm others it’s okay. We saw the tickertape at senior rail and we cleaned it, but we think it’s just part of what you guys do,” said Wade. “We just want to make sure that everyone is safe.”