Johnson dedicated to WS athlete

Johnson dedicated to WS athlete

Three sports, three seasons and three coaching jobs at 6100 Rolling Road—Marcus Johnson is taking on this new challenge while staying dedicated to the student athletes on and off the field.
This year the school is seeing the addition of Coach Johnson as a new strength and conditioning coach for basketball and freshmen football.
In high school Johnson played football and baseball at the varsity level. In college he continued playing these sports joining the basketball team at University of Nevada, Vegas and playing in the minor leagues for baseball. His football career is one of a lifelong passion.
“Football has always been a love of mine, I played it freshman year and wish I got to play in college,” said Johnson.
Johnson’s passion for everything he does is reflected in his coaching style. By pushing students to achieve their best in sports Johnson hopes to develop students in every aspect of life.
“I try to instill integrity and discipline into the characters of the boys that I coach,” said Johnson, “A person’s character is important and to me integrity and discipline are the foundation of a young man.”
To him training athletes to be better at their sports is just an effect of training young men to become quality citizens. Johnson doesn’t want to “just be there for those around him” but he wants people to come to him for advice so that he can help each person on an individual level.
“My biggest job is to help build young men and productive citizens,” said Johnson, “contrary to popular believe there is life after sports and it is part of my job to prepare people for life.”
Johnson’s dedication to WS goes above and beyond. On average he spends about 35 hours a week at off-season workouts and practices. Even with a full time job off campus and a family to spend time with; Johnson makes the time to coach at a place that he sees as a growing community.
“I’ve coached at a lot of places and WS is a growing community,” said Johnson, “and I wanted to be a part of this new culture of sports.”
On the field Johnson brings intensity and spirit to the games. His joking nature and fierce competitive edge push athletes to perform by always knowing what to say and when to say it.
“I like that he can relate to the kids but that he also brings an intensity to the sport while the kids are on the field,” said Erik Foss, head coach of the freshman football team.
In the weight room Johnson’s personality pushes kids to work harder. From the loud rap music to the encouraging comments, Johnson creates an environment that makes working hard enjoyable.
“He’s a great coach; he told me that he would bail me out of jail if I need it and [he] never beats around the bush and isn’t afraid to tell you what he really thinks,” said senior Patrick Burke.