FCPS leads the way in student training

Mark Simonson, ETC Editor

The Fairfax County Youth Leadership Program (YLP) is a county wide organization devoted to teaching high school students about the workings of local government.
“Every high school in the county has at least one eligible participant.  Some schools have multiple qualified applicants, so they will select two participants,” said WS sponsor Brian Heintz who first got involved with the program in 2004. “Participants attend meetings and site visits throughout the year, and then have a one-month paid internship at one of those organizations.”
Over the years Heintz has seen countless students excel in the program and grant a leg up on their aspirations for the future.
For examples of this Heintz recalled one student who
“interned in then Supervisor Gerry Connolly’s office.  Four years later, when she was applying to graduate schools, [Connelly] was a Congressman and wrote her recommendations,” and wound up being accepted into her top choice school.
WS’s YLP participant is senior Murwah Murad, who first joined last year when she heard about it through Mr. Heintz, her U.S. History teacher.
“We never really learn about how our local government works directly,” said Murad. “It really has given me a clearer view of just how big Fairfax County really is and the level of involvement required to govern such an area.”
Murwah’s YLP internship, which she worked over the summer, was helping clean and organize at the Fairfax County Animal Shelter.
“Because I was 17 I was not actually allowed to work directly with the animals. However, I was able to assist with things to benefit the shelter such as cleaning and doing laundry for the animal’s pens and cleaning up the front lobby,” said Murad.
With the goal of training high school age student’s skills involving local government, YLP works to create positive examples out of their members in order to both spread the value of their program and to inspire others to follow in their footsteps and pursue informed and useful positions in local government. Although not completely well-known to the current student body of WS, YLP creates big opportunities for its participants as well the community as a whole.
“It’s been a really great experience being in the program,” said Murad. “It has taught me a lot about where I live and what I want to do in the future.”