Brazilian exchange student brings change to WS

Enrico Lima has been putting his best efforts in class and during swim. His host family, the Suns, say that having Lima with them is like having another teenager of their own.

Photo courtesy of Katelyn Rodriguez

Katelyn Rodriguez, Business Editor

Cultures have emerged for exchange student, Enrico Lima, who has flown to the U.S. all the way from Brazil and joined our Spartan family.

Lima applied for a Rotary Exchange Program, so he could fulfill the experience of studying abroad. On his application he was allowed to list 10 countries he preferred to study and live in for one year, but he could not specifically choose a destination.

As soon as he stepped off the plane he was welcomed by his host family, the Sun’s, who have three children. One of Lima’s host siblings attends Thomas Jefferson High School, another is enrolled in Pittsburgh College, and the other is currently in a rotary exchange located in Peru.

“In many ways, it is like having another teenager of our own, coordinating carpools and cheering at swim meets and having another person to play Monopoly with on family game night,”said Lima’s host parents,” James and Ann Sun.

The Suns feel very blessed to take bring Lima’s character into their home. This exchange will not only be educating, but it will build a special relationship the Sun’s and Lima will hold forever.

“They are very intelligent so I can talk to them about many different things,” said Lima.
When one thinks about just jumping into a whole new life with completely different people, it appears like a whirlwind. Yet, Lima has adjusted in no time and is taking advantage of his once in a lifetime opportunity.
Walking into a whole new world,  Lima has added to his Spartan experience by joining the school swim and dive team. In Brazil, he swam for a club team where he swam five days week two hours a day compared to the WS practices that are 4 days a week and 1 hour.
“He adds a good variety to the team,” said junior swim team captain, Andrew Hale.
In his new academic life, Lima has had to transition from his school in Brazil that began at seven in the morning and ended at twelve in the afternoon to a full eight hour day where switching classes with different classmates is involved.

“I like staying in one class because you get to bond with others,” said Lima.

Back in Brazil, Lima’s school had everyone in the classroom at the same level, rather than offering regular, honors, or AP classes like WS. This can be seen as a pro and con because while one may want to step back from being challenged too much or wants to be challenged more it still leaves room to be on the same page as everyone else.

“It’s been a pleasure working with Enrico[…] He puts forth his best effort in all regards,” said English teacher, Martha Beall.

Reaching out of his comfort zone, Lima has had to become quite the extrovert. In order for anyone studying abroad to receive the full experience they must be willing to step out of  their norm. This experience is recommended for anyone who is considering because it’s a life changing experience, and allows one to discover a lot about himself.

“Be yourself, and don’t be afraid of doing things,” said Lima.