Hair getting too long?

Photo courtesy of Jimmy Wise

Jimmy Wise, the man behind Wise Cuts, decided to open a barber shop because when growing up he wasn’t able to find a place that performed the hip hairstyles many people wanted. Wise Cuts also gives opportunities to students interested in hair cuttery, whether they go to a community college or a four-year university.

Kenny St. Thomas, Oracle Staff Writer

The barbershop is the center of many urban neighborhoods. However, WS lacked a community barbershop until former WS student Jimmy Wise opened Wise Cuts.
As a child growing up in the Orange Hunt community, Wise struggled to find a barbershop that could give the trendy hairstyles seen on TV.
“I knew the area needed a hip barbershop performing the haircuts you see your favorite NBA, NFL players, and musicians rockin’,” said Wise.
Many WS students, including seniors Justin Tall and Ahmed Salmi have been going to Wise Cuts since it opened. They were excited to have a new, fresh barbershop that was close to their homes.
“Wise Cuts is in the perfect location; it’s near the Pohick library and the basketball courts,” said Tall.
Wise has also opened a new barber school on the first floor of Wise Cuts, which Wise created because he wishes that he had the opportunity to learn to cut hair close to home when he was in high school.  FCPS does offer a variety of academy classes where students can receive professional training but they don’t offer classes for every job.
“Currently you can obtain a cosmetology license in FCPS. Having a barber program as well would be very beneficial,” said Wise.
The main purpose of the barber school is to provide information to students who have an interest in this career field.
“I made a promise to myself that I would give back and make it accessible for anybody interested in my hometown,” said Wise.
The barber school opened fall of 2016 and naturally, the opportunity caught former graduate’s attention. Currently two former WS students are enrolled, and the other participants have all attended Springfield schools.
The barber school has become one of the many directions in which WS students can go after graduation. Whether you are getting a job, going to NOVA, or attending a four-year college, the barber school could be a great way for students to invest in themselves.
“When I graduate, I’ll start to learn at the barber school, I’m going to NOVA then Mason, I think it’s a great idea if you’re staying in the area,” said Salmi.