West Springfield High School Newspaper

The Oracle

The Oracle

The Oracle

‘Spring fever’ runs rampant

When one thinks of spring, things such as new life, smiles and vitality come to mind. Alas, this is not the case for the studious high school student.

In elementary school, I clearly remember how the school year was pretty much over halfway through spring and it was easy to tell: Students would often watch movies, mindlessly color worksheets and even have extended recess.

In high school, I have learned it is the exact opposite: Instead of frolicking outside, students are forced to study, March through June, for SATs, APs, SOLs and final exams.

This is particularly hard on high me, because I yearn for the days when the last month of school was a joke. During these spring months, high-schoolers have to push themselves to focus on schoolwork and studying for major tests, which is a challenge, considering the distractions this season brings.

Story continues below advertisement

Although I miss doing virtually no schoolwork during May and June, there is a specific reason why elementary schoolers have it even easier at the end of the year: The teachers’ gradebooks close around Memorial Day. In other words, any assignment after that time does not count toward the students’ grades.

Elementary school teachers still do not use computers to enter their grades; they spend time filling out endless Scantron sheets at the end of the year. This means much more free time for their students.

This year I have been able to keep up my grades, even as the spring workload increases. It is notably harder, however, to remain vigilant now than it was during freshman year and I can only imagine the struggles I will go through to maintain my GPA through my junior and senior year, particularly during spring, when the end of the year is so close, yet so far away.

Of course, the ideal solution would be to end the grading period earlier. Sadly, this is not going to happen any time soon, considering high school teachers assign grades all the way until the end of the year.

But until that occurs (which will be when pigs fly), I can only try to focus on future goals. In the meantime, I’ll try doing homework outside; it’s an option that provides a chance to maintain one’s grades while enjoying the wonders of spring.

More to Discover