Frederick conquers career counseling

Fall is a stressful time for all seniors, but new Career Counselor Tisa Frederick is here to help.
Frederick comes to WS from Fayetteville State University in North Carolina, and has spent 11 years working in the college admissions process. So, why would she come to WS? While it is a great school, what drew her in?
“I really liked the environment here”, said Frederick. “It is a welcoming community.”
But how does this compare to the previous schools she has worked? I mean, we all know that WS is the place to be, but we have our quirks. For example, the whole “we haven’t had a major renovation in school history” is something that could be a concern. But when confronted with a renovation, Frederick shrugged it off and turned it into a positive.
“[The planned renovation] is exciting!” Said Frederick. “It will hopefully bring Student Services together.”
Frederick approaches everything with positivity and enthusiasm, even our overdue renovations. This will be good for all of the students that flood the Career Center every day during lunches, Spartan Time, and after school. Frederick’s popularity has soared already, she has gathered great reviews from the students that have interacted with her, and as she has agreed to be the Step Team sponsor.
“She knows the inner works and can tell you what [the College Board] wants to see,” said senior Kristin Pitcher. “She is really easy to talk to”.
Frederick has a difficult task in replacing last year’s Career Counselor, Kelvin Coggins, who boosted the Career Center’s popularity, and really connected with students. But even though Frederick isn’t going to be throwing down dunks in the student-staff basketball game this year, she brings her own expertise to the job that will put students in easier positions when applying. But this knowledge of being on the college side of the admissions process is not going to alter the Career Center drastically.
“I don’t want to necessarily change [the Career Center], but more, enhance it so that it is more well-known,” said Frederick.
This is the perfect attitude to have because a lot of students do not use all that the Career Center has to offer. Frederick has resources that students can take advantage of to make their lives easier as they go through the daunting process of applying to college. She is determined to make more students aware of the benefits that are offered there and she encourages students to stop by.
So, if you are having troubles with your application process, or if you just have a simple question about life after high school (gasp), then stop by the Career Center, where a smiling Frederick will be waiting.
“I’m here; I’m accessible,” said Frederick. “And I’m excited to work with [the students]!”