Veterans take up their posts as teachers

mmunity, there are several members of the WS staff who have served in the military. They have hung up their boots and uniforms and taken up pencils and chalk to fulfill new roles as educators.
To honor the sacrifice and service of these people, we celebrate Veteran’s Day.
“Veteran’s Day to me means remembering our fallen loved ones and commending the brave souls that defended our country,” said junior Andrew Johnson.
Veteran’s Day is a day remember, and to thank those who protect us. Many businesses offer veterans free meals or large discounts to thank them for their service. Students at WS keep this holiday close to their hearts as many students have families who have served.
“It is important so we can honor people who served in the military that defended our country and protected us,” said sophomore Josh Kisner.
It is easy to see the person in the front of the room as just a teacher, but when students know their teachers’ history, students can form bonds with those adults around them. The veterans on the WS staff do their best to continue to go above and beyond; here are their stories.
Vincent Johnson is a special education teacher here at WS and also a Vietnam Veteran. He served in a small fire base in a destroyed rubber factory where he commanded his platoon on expeditions into enemy territory for three to five days.
“My job involved walking through the jungle and engaging and do damage to the Viet Cong,” said Platoon Sargent Vincent Johnson. “We were picked from our base then up and dropped off at an [Landing Zone] then in a few days we were picked up by the helicopters again and taken back to base.”
After being in Vietnam for one year, ten months and ten days, Johnson returned home as a double Purple Heart recipient after being injured. He tells his story every year to US History students, informing them of the hardships faced by US soldiers.
From Vietnam to the home front, veterans at WS have been stationed all around the world.
“I was in the Marine Core for 5 years as a surface defense officer,” said Captain Wolcott “Duke” Baird.
Now a math teacher, Baird graduated from the Naval Academy and learned how to use missiles to shoot down flying objects.
Another great story is that of Major John Bertha. Bertha, new this year to WS, teaches math and science, but in his world travels he was able to witness history in the making.
“I was a meteorologist in the Air Force for 20 years,” said Bertha. “I was stationed in Frankfort when the Berlin wall fell it was very sudden. One day we were looking at the enemy over the wall and the next day it was coming down.”
Bertha was also stationed in Hawaii, Norway, Italy, and Texas before finally settling down in northern Virginia.
Some people go into the military right out of high school, while others, like Staff Sergeant Heather Sullivan, enlisted after college.
“I only did three years in the Army and I went in after college so they could pay off college loans,” said Sullivan.
In the Army, she worked in military intelligence providing analysis for joint and coalition forces within the United States Army Pacific and the U.S. Pacific Command.
“It’s not always about being on the battlefield though, military intelligence is a nonstop job that is always on the go even during peacetime,” said Sullivan.
The stories of those around us are unique and exceptional. They have made sacrifices for our freedom and always deserve our upmost respect and gratitude.