‘Two Gentlemen of Verona’ breaks the box office

Photo courtesy of Bernie DeLeo

Murwah Murad, Managing Editor

“The Two Gentlemen of Verona” finally arrived.
Despite being busy with its production of The Crucible and trip to New York City, the theater department was able to pull off the challenging Shakespeare play with amazing success—and a twist. This production of the famous play by the Bard was set in the 1950s.
Being a Shakespeare play, one might have expected “Two Gentlemen of Verona” to be dull and serious.
Unlike the tragedies of Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet, however, “Two Gentlemen of Verona” is a lively, comedic tale about two gentlemen, Valentine and Proteus (played by seniors Graham Morriss and Scott Burrows) chasing after the daughter of a lord, Sylvia (played by senior Grace Duah). The story of their love triangle is like an old-fashioned version of recent teen novels. #teamValentine, anyone?
“I really enjoyed watching it,” said junior Sara Waugh. “It was different from many plays I have seen before.”
This was also WS’s first time putting on this play. It was put together under the instructions of theater teacher Bernie DeLeo. The theater classes began working on the play right when school started.
“The theater department really out did themselves,” said sophomore Maya Bowden. “It was the first time I have ever seen this play by Shakespeare.”
Theater students put in an endless amount of work to make the play happen. There are many different departments involved in making the play including construction, props, and costumes/makeup. All the work has to begin at the very start of the school year if the deadline is to be met.
Making props takes the longest because of the sheer amount of work it takes to make the sets. Costumes have to be decided on and fitted. There also the people who have to work background lighting and sounds.
“I never realized how much work theater is till my friend started doing it,” said junior Abbey Pilcher. “I took theater in middle school but I never did anything like this.”
The performers themselves have a lot of work to do, memorizing pages and pages of lines, especially since memorizing old English is extremely difficult. They also have to get into character and really commit themselves to the role. These students have to perform in front of large crowds of fellow classmates, families, teachers and faculty, which of course can incredibly nerve-racking.
The play was performed five different times over a two-week period. This gave people multiple opportunities to go see it.
“I would definitely go see it again,” said Pilcher. “They did an amazing job with the play.”