Rizzuto reappears

Kay+Rizzuto+smiles+big+for+Spartans.+

Photo courtesy of Helen Heaton

Kay Rizzuto smiles big for Spartans.

Helen Heaton, Features Editor

The new assistant principal, Kay Rizzuto, seemed to pop into existence at the beginning of the school year along with ranks of trailers and the construction crew. Yet while students may not know it, Rizzuto has a long history with WS.
“I was a teacher here. I was part of the staff from 2003 to 2008. Loved it here,” Rizzuto said.
Despite this, she realized she wanted something more: to become an administrator. Rizzuto was told that to receive a position, she needed to gather more experience at other schools.
“So I did that,” Rizzuto said, “and didn’t find any other place that was better than this one, so I was just waiting for an opportunity to interview and come back.”
It might sound straightforward, but to Rizzuto, a Special Education teacher, it was a serious and time-intensive mission. Her first step was to spend time at a program at Virginia Tech with other potential administrators.
“It’s rigorous,” Rizzuto said. “It’s two or three times per week, depending on the semester. That on top of teaching at the end of the day is tough. But everybody does it that goes through that process, so you have to be a dedicated student yourself.”
She believes this dedication is one of her most defining traits. It has shaped her life and continues to shape her attitude in the workplace.
“I was one of the first women in the corps of cadets [at Texas A&M],” she said, “so I learned even from 18 to 21—I learned how to persevere. I don’t give up. I don’t give up on kids. If I see a challenge, I keep going until it works.”
When the challenge in question was gathering experience, she seized upon it with gusto. After her program, Rizzuto spent time at Robinson Secondary School, followed by several years at Interagency Alternative schools. This eventually paid off when Assistant Principal Becky Brandt left FCPS employ to work as a liason between WS and the construction company. A new position opened, and Rizzuto applied. Her years of work set her apart.
“She has a vast amount of experience,” said WS Principal Michael Mukai.
Rizzuto is full of enthusiasm to have finally reached her goal, and is already looking forward to what it will entail.
“I have the ninth grade class, Class of 2020, which I think is going to be a lot of fun,” she said.
This isn’t her only role, nor is it the only aspect of her new job she is eager to launch into.
“I’m also the administrator for Social Studies and World Languages, and both those departments are fabulous, so I’m really excited about that,” Rizzuto said.
Her fellow assistant principal, Betsy Fawsett, has noticed Rizzuto’s positivity. She is happy to see Rizzuto returning to the school.
“Ms. Rizzuto has a passion for West Springfield,” Fawsett said.
Fawsett believes this passion will make Rizzuto a powerful influence on students.
“I think she’ll have a great impact on the freshman class—she’s a great role model for them,” Fawsett said.
For Rizzuto, though, it’s merely enough to be back.
“It’s nice to come home,” she said.