FRESHMAN ANONYMOUS: A 12-STEP GUIDE TO SURVIVING FRESHMAN YEAR (Based on Alcoholics Anonymous 12-Step Program)

Compiled by Nora Boyle & Sophie Sachar, Scoop Editor

Step 1: “We admitted that we were powerless under upperclassmen and that our lives had become unmanageable.” Being a freshman is all about admitting you’re a problem. Those who are not ready to admit that they are nuisances
may be likely to return to their 8th-grade selves.

Step 2: “We came to believe that a power greater than ourselves (Mr. Mukai) could restore us to sanity.” Having respect for your principal keeps you on track.

Step 3: “Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Ms. Lenart as we understood her.” Your administrator will prove to be one of the most essential parts of your stint as a high-schooler, so make a good impression to ensure smooth sailing for the next four years.

Step 4: “Made a searching moral inventory of ourselves.” Think about what you enjoy and are passionate about, and get yourself involved in clubs! Junior year will be a scramble to build up your résumé and getting started right off the bat shows commitment and proactivity.

Step 5: “Admitted to Eldredge, to ourselves and to other human beings the exact nature of our wrongs.” If you have to go to In-School Suspension with Eldredge, respect what he has to say. You got yourself into that situation and now you have to work out of it. Get it together!

Step 6: “Were entirely ready to have security remove all these defects of
character.” Security is there to help, not hurt. They’re there to keep you safe
and they know what they’re doing—we promise. You should know what you’re
doing, too—no matter how cheesy the SR&R videos are, the rules are enforced
and it’s your responsibility to know them.

Step 7: “Humbly asked upperclassmen to remove our shortcomings.” If you can admit that you are annoying, you’ll grow out of it. Freshman year is a learning experience and everybody goes through it—but don’t think for a second
that you’re top dog.
Step 8: “Made a list of all persons we had subtweeted and became willing to make amends to them all.” Friend groups change in high school, which can
create drama. The mature thing to do is keep your fingers from typing
and address the situation in person. However, one of the best things to do
is to let it go and move on.

Step 9: “Made direct comments to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.” Use your words carefully,
because reputations stick like glue.

Step 10: “Continue to take selfies and when years go by, promptly admit that you were never that cute.” #transformationtuesday

Step 11: “Sought through notes and textbooks to improve our SOL scores with teachers as our guides, hoping only for knowledge and the power
to carry it out.”

Step 12: “Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to upcoming freshmen and to practice these principles
in all our affairs.”

• FRESHMAN ANONYMOUS: A 12-STEP GUIDE   TO SURVIVING FRESHMAN YEAR   (Based on Alcoholics Anonymous 12-Step Program)

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up

Snow Day—finally!

Spartans take home 1st- and 2nd-place wins in prestigious contest

Special needs community celebrates accomplishments; works for acceptance

All that Jazz amazes us all