2010 NFL season brings new contenders

Among all of the buzz and rumors of the fall season, the NFL always seems to be the talk of the town. Every day, without fail, you will always seem to find a group of students talking about who got hurt, who got traded or who broke out and had a big game. This season, there have been many big trades and surprising stories that have shown that the 2010-2011 NFL season will be promising.

Despite not making it to the Super Bowl last year, the New York Jets seem to be the team to beat. They have the returning number one defense in the league and under second year head coach Rex Ryan the team is constantly improving on both sides of the ball. During the offseason, the team added a few superstars to give some fire power on both offense and defense, such as  RB LaDanian Tomlinson, CB Antonio Cromartie,  and DE Jason Taylor The team was designated this year to be the subject of HBO’s weekly TV series “Hard Knocks.” The show gave insight into the Jets’ offseason camps and the preseason leading up to the final cut for the 53 man roster. Although they were easily the most hyped team going into the season, they suffered a loss to the hands of the Baltimore Ravens 10-9.

“They needed the loss,” said Jets fan and senior Cody Cashman, “now they can stop worrying about all of the hype and play football. “

Normally the AFC East was dominated by coach Bill Bellichek’s New England Patriots, but the Jets along with the Miami Dolphins have clearly emerged as a threat in their division and the conference. Another up and coming team is the Houston Texans, who have proved themselves to be an offensively loaded scoring machine when they thrashed the Indianapolis Colts in week one. Other teams that have surprised fans and reporters alike are the Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, and Tennessee Titans. With all of the new surprises and moves in the offseason, there doesn’t seem to be any dominating factor among the league. The 2011-2012 NFL season shows to be one with unlimited possibilities and many promising matchups.