Offense takes steps in different direction

Head-smashing, gut-wrenching, smash mouth run-it-down-your-throat, hit-you-in-the-mouth football. 

This is the style of football the Spartans will look to play this year after being a predominantly passing team past years. Spartan fans may have gotten used to the air-it-out offense run by Peter Lalich and Bryn Renner the last few years, but this year the Spartans will look to control the clock better by running and playing solid defense.

In their first game against Edison, the Spartans ran for over 300 yards led by senior Moeq Kamara and sophomore Jonathon Dunn.

This year, the Spartans were devastated by the losses of graduation and have several sophomores playing significant minutes on varsity.

With such a young team, it would be expected that there would be some growing pains at first as the younger players adapted to the faster pace of varsity.

However, in the first game against Edison the Spartans inexperience did not show as they pulled off the upset, beating the Eagles 29-14.

The next game against heavily favored Oakton, the Spartans lost a heartbreaker 14 to 13. After a long touchdown run by Jonathon Dunn, WS attempted a two point conversion that would have taken the lead. But kick holder Zach Hart was stopped just inches shy of the goal line and Oakton was able to run out the clock.

While the move did not end up working, one can’t help but respect coach J.T. Biddison for going for the win.

“Obviously, I was disappointed that we didn’t make it,” said junior linebacker Cody Henson. “But I think it was the right move, considering we were supposed to lose by a lot.”

With the loss of 37 seniors, it is not a surprise that teams would underestimate the Spartans. Even the Washington Post gave the team a lowly one star rating in their football preview, the only team in the district to get such a grade.

“We use it as motivation,” said senior Holt Barrineau. “I think it helps us become more motivated.”

Picked to finish last in the district, Spartans went against their odds and proved to be an aggressive pack that is not afraid of higher ranked teams. They will look to earn a post season bid after barely missing out last season.

“If we play up to our potential, we could definitely contend in the district” said Barrineau.