Battle commits to Georgetown

For most high school students, the college application process is a long and tedious one.

Students will join random clubs and honor societies that they hope will help them be noticed by colleges. This process was a bit different for junior Logan Battle.

Battle recently committed to Georgetown University to play basketball on a full scholarship. Georgetown, located in Washington DC, is one of the most prestigious schools in the country in both academic standards and athletics.

The US News and World Report ranked them as the number 21 best academic school in the country. Georgetown’s basketball program is also highly successful on both the men’s and women’s sides. The men’s team has reached the final 4 five times and has produced NBA big men Patrick Ewing and Greg Monroe.

While the women’s team does not have quite the same pedigree as the men’s team, they have enjoyed success of late. They begin the season ranked 13 in the AP poll.

“It’s really the perfect school for me,” said Battle. “Not just for basketball, but academics as well.”

Battle, who has been a starter on the Varsity squad since her freshman season, is accustomed to success as the Lady Spartans have been one of the best programs in the area since her arrival.

But Georgetown plays in one of the best league in the country, the Big East, and wins will not be as easy to come by. Perennial powerhouse Connecticut, who also plays in this league, currently has a 78-game winning streak and has won 30 Big East Conference Championships.

“It should be good competition,” said Battle. “I’m very excited for the opportunity.”

For top basketball recruits such as Battle, the recruiting process starts at an early age. Georgetown wasn’t the only school interested in her services; Virginia Tech, Clemson and the University of Delaware all were interested in Battle.

Georgetown, who had been recruiting her since she was 12, finally offered the scholarship in August. Battle did not immediately accept, however. She took a month to step back and evaluate all her options on which school would be the best option for her future.

But in the end, Georgetown offered the best opportunity for her both on and off the court, and her family supported her decision.

“It’s a family decision,” said Battle. “For my family and I, grades come first and basketball is second.”