Spartans swim for success

The Spartan swim team is prepared to “just keep swimming” their way to the top.

Though the success of last year’s season isn’t far out of their minds, the swim team is ready to jump into the new season with high expectations.

Like with all sports, the rotation of new and graduating athletes can change the aspect of the team year to year, causing some feelings of doubt, but the swim team knows how to handle it.

“We have about the same number of talented swimmers this year,” said junior Hannah Hagy, “though we are missing a few key swimmers because of injuries and because they graduated”.

Last year, the girl’s team placed fifth at states and their relay came in third. This year, the team is hoping to improve and go farther into the post season as a whole.

The team didn’t waste time getting to work; they held conditioning once a week before the season started and now hold practices three days a week as well as going to the weight room.

Many of the team members swim more than one season or are on a year round team, and are used to intense training.

“Sometimes we practice with clothes on to create drag while we practice, so we’ll swim faster without them during races,” said junior Katie Nirenberg,

Though some of the team dynamics may have changed talent is not scarce on this team. While talent is important for success, it’s how they collaborate together that creates a winning team.

“You need to have a lot of good swimmers mixed with a few great ones, that way everyone’s times can create a good score,” said Nirenberg.

Many sportsmen would agree that acting as a team and working together is behind the success of every great team. The swim team has the same mindset as team chemistry is high on the list of importance. Getting to know all the teammates is crucial in order to be supportive and cheer all members on.

“Swimming is a team sport as well as an individual sport,” said sophomore Stephanie Wilkinson. “To be a good team, sometimes you don’t get to swim your best event if the team needs you in something else.”

With the number of new freshman joining the team this year, being able to create time get to meet all new faces is important. Being part of this team really entails not only putting in physical effort, but also being there for your team mates. Everyone has a role to motivate and challenge each other.

“Being a captain makes me want to improve and set an example for the team to follow,” said junior Kim Kellogg

Though the season is just getting started these Spartans are pumped up and ready to go, with success on the brain.

“There is definitely pressure to get to that level again, I try to have fun with it though,” said junior captain Colin Stephenson.

Last year’s achievement in the post season though a little nerve raking, will no doubt only help the work harder.

“We did it once,” said Wilkinson, “let’s do it again.”