Spartans prepare for success

Although officially the Spartan Boys Basketball season is complete, the team’s work is far from over.

Coach Jason Eldridge, who joined the basketball program at the beginning of this year, began offseason training on March 17, only a month after they played their last game. Every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday Eldridge organizes (and participates in) two hour workout sessions. Most sessions have specific focuses designed to help players get the most out of their time.

“I tell them if you want the best opportunity, then you need to make time for offseason training,” said Eldridge. “You could work your butt off and still make the team; even if you don’t go to offseason training, you’ll still be behind the boys who did train.”

It is not unusual for sports teams to train in the offseason; many athletes’ springs are spent either practicing with their spring sport or getting ready for their sport next fall. However, the boys basketball team’s workouts not only include last year’s members, but also welcome those who are hoping to make the team next year.

At the moment, the majority of the students training with Eldridge are those who did not make the team last year; last year’s players will start coming in the later spring. Eldridge hopes watching those who didn’t make the team still come out and push themselves will inspire his players to push harder in order to stay up with the competition.

“I do like [the boys who didn’t make the team] being around because it adds to the family environment,” said Eldridge.

During the workouts, the boys head outside where they spend an hour running up and down the bleachers and then come inside to the weight room to lify for an hour. The workouts extend into the summer, keeping the boys in shape through the summer and into next year.

“It’s fun to stay hang out with the guys, even though my high school career is over,” said senior Mitchell Hadfield. “It makes it easy to motiviate yourself when the coach is doing what your doing.”

The boys also often take runs to Lake Braddock HS and back. This exercise doubles as a physical and mental exercise as Lake Braddock was were the Spartan Boy’s season ended; Eldridge hopes the memory will inspire his boys to train harder in the offseason.

“It hopefully pushes them to realize they have to work that hard to stay on top of the competition,” said Eldridge. “It breeds better basketball players.”