Freshmen score big

Photo courtesy of Gabriel Kier

Current junior Gabriel Kier as a freshman on WS Varsity Basketball.

Hannah Libovicz-Kilgore, Oracle Staff Writer

Excited, nervous, intimidated: these are all feelings racing through the minds of freshmen when put on a WS varsity sports team.
Freshmen being put on varsity teams is a rare occurrence. When it happens, these students must overcome many challenges. When they are first put on these teams, students react in many different ways.
“I was excited because I knew we would do well,” said Freshman Alyssa Maryanopolis, goalie of the Varsity Field Hockey team. While some freshmen are optimistic, others may be nervous or timid.
“Being on varsity, I was intimidated by the upperclassmen because they had more skill and more experience than I did,” said Junior Molly Kilcarr, who was also on varsity field hockey as a freshman.
To overcome these nervous feelings, the students have to adjust to their teammates and their higher level of skill to try to fit in.
With great power comes great responsibility. While being a student in the lowest grade on the highest level team is a huge honor, it is also a huge task to take on.
“It was hard to adapt because the players were stronger and the game was faster. Also, I had a tough coach, so, mentally, I had to be tough,” said Junior Gabriel Kier, who was a freshman on Varsity Basketball.
Most of these students agree that they would not have been better off on the Junior Varsity team. Although it may be difficult, these students get to play the sport they love on a team that will make them a better player in the long run.
Something else the freshmen must overcome is getting to know their own team. Being at a new school, they’ll already have to make new friends in their own grade, but on a varsity team, they have to make new friends outside of their grade as well.
“[Getting to know my team] was cool,” said Sophomore Stephanie Skahen, who started on Varsity Lacrosse, “Everyone talked to me because I was so young.”
The freshmen can’t be known as the little kids on the team forever. They all prove that they were put on that team for a reason in the end and that they can fit in just fine.
Even though these freshmen may have had to handle a little more independence than they’re used to, each one pulled through and made their team – and their school – proud.
“It’s like a brotherhood on the team,” said Junior Jordan Hughes, who was on Varsity Football. “Freshman year they accepted me and it’s been the same since then.”