Spartans are rowing their way to success

Several of the athletes on the WS boys crew team take a break during a hard practice.

Anna De Cecco

Anna De Cecco

Kyle Bethea, Oracle Online Editor

WS’s Spartan crew season just kicked off, and hopes are high for both the Women and Men’s team.
With talent spread throughout all four grade levels, the Spartans will be young this year. The young Spartan rowers are very optimistic about the present and future success WS crew will have.
The program was started in 1987 by two students who wanted to compete against other high schools.
Since the creation of the program both crew teams have achieved in accolades tremendously. The Women’s varsity crew during the 2015- 2016 season won the silver medal, during the 2015- 2016 season the junior varsity team won a silver medal. The Men’s varsity team won the bronze medal at the Virginia State Scholastic Championships.
“Practices are really hard and long, but they help you prepare for races and regattas,” said senior Alyssa Druitt
Crew practices are held at Sandy Run Regional Park and a crew practice tends to take up about four hours after school. Although it seems like a lot of time out of your schedule. It is most defiantly worth it, the opportunity alone of meeting lifelong friends and possibly learning vital skill traits.
The focus of Spartan Crew is to provide an opportunity for WS kids to learn and understand what crew is. How it can impact your life and in a positive way that it allows you to have fun while working hard. The sport also provides a way to make friendships, and learn and teamwork in a competitive environment.
“Crew has taught me leadership that I will carry with me for the rest of my life”. said senior Nick Becht.
“For example, getting a lot of new people to listen to authority and, pushing myself and others to do their best no matter what.”
Crew is a spring sport that needs half a year of practice and dedication for athletes to truly be able to compete at a high winning level.
Although crew is a sport that’s not funded by WS and is pricy. Money is funded for the program through ticket sales and basket bingo. They rely on each other to help raise money for the program just as they rely on each other on the water. This makes it a wonderful team sport
“Crew is defiantly a team sport, probably the biggest team sport because you are eight people in a tiny boat and you don’t want to flip and you want go really fast so you rely on everyone,” said senior Bailey Price.

• Spartans are rowing their way to success

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up

Snow Day—finally!

Spartans take home 1st- and 2nd-place wins in prestigious contest

Special needs community celebrates accomplishments; works for acceptance

All that Jazz amazes us all