WS welcomes Rhonda Trupiano

Photo courtesy of Rhonda Trupiano

WS new French teacher, Rhonda Trupiano, smiling for a photo.

Emma Phillips, Oracle Editor

Bonjour Spartans! There is a new French teacher in town who has a lot to offer WS, including her DMV pride, her extensive knowledge of the world, and her love of cinematography.

Rhonda Trupiano teaches French 1,3,4, and 5 and has a lot to show her students. She has always been completely immersed in French culture, from French immersion elementary school, starting in Kindergarten, to living and working in France.

“I was fluent by the time I was in second or third grade,” said Trupiano.

After continuing her French education all the way through high school, in her home state of Maryland, Trupiano received a full ride academic scholarship to Ohio State University. Part of her high school experience was playing basketball and volleyball, and she continued intramural volleyball while in college. During her graduate years of college, Trupiano was an English Language Assistant in Arras, France, and taught at two middle schools.

“There, I fell in love with teaching,” said Trupiano.

She then got an opportunity to teach an online classroom for an international school. She gained a lot of teaching experience doing this, but she missed being in a classroom.

“I missed face-to-face interaction with students. I like to be actively involved in their biz” said Trupiano.

Trupiano never imagined being teaching in a trailer, or a trailer community for that matter. However, she did not see it as an obstacle at all, and has a positive outlook on current renovations.

“There’s a sense of community in Sparta; I like my own space,” said Trupiano.

As for her fellow staff members, they have been very welcoming. She is very happy being in the Fairfax County school system.

“It’s one of the best” said Trupiano.

WS seems to be impressing Trupiano, she has only been teaching here for a few weeks and she is already proud of her students.

“The students are rockstars” said Trupiano.

Her students would say the same thing about her. She always greets her students with a warm smile and a very energetic welcoming to class. She is one of the few teachers who knows the secret to the perfect balance between teaching and making the classroom a fun, interactive experience. Trupiano really knows how to connect to her students. Afterall, one of her favorite pastimes is Netflix.

“I watch Orphan Black, some Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Law and Order” said Trupiano.

Many students can relate to loving Netflix, which is one of the reasons she is so easy to talk to. Other than Netflix, Trupiano enjoys shopping and hanging with her two dogs. Settling into a new area can be tough, but nothing can phase Trupiano’s enthusiasm and joy of teaching. She makes light of any situation, like being new or even going under construction.

“There might not be running water in the teacher bathrooms but hey, it’s okay, I’m happy” said Trupiano.