Shhhhhhhh, we’re in the library!

In previous years, the only time the library was ever a quiet place for study was when there was practically no one in there.

But not anymore, all you rowdy kids who use the library as gathering place for chit-chat, instead of what it’s supposed to be. No longer will you disturb my study time, the new policy prohibits it. No talking, simple and to the point.

Now it won’t be impossible to hear yourself think, let alone get any work done, due to all the loud talking from the underclassmen waiting for their after school sports to begin. The runners congregating with each other before practice, the swimmers waiting for their bus and the many others doing “projects” and “helping each other with their homework,” you can no longer take advantage of the space the library provides.

Ché Ferch Jablonski, one of our fine school librarians, said “Already, teachers and students are responding with positive feedback.”

In my four years at West Springfield, I have seen the library treated with same disrespect as a common Borders book store. Any and every library is a sacred place, for book lovers alike to come and appreciate literature, and should be treated that way.

Though the school library is useful for when you forget to print out your paper or need to make copies of a worksheet, it was never really a very good place for serious studying.

Thank you to the librarians for deciding to make the change.

The first couple days, there were complaints and some restraint from students not following rules. The only thing that the librarians can do to enforce the rules is ask students to leave, which they don’t have a problem doing.

Respect for readers and books is the only concern of libraries, not whether or not groups of kids can loudly work on their projects together.