FCPS students are ahead of the game in state averages

Photo courtesy of Marie Laverdiere

Students diligently work in AP Chemistry to ensure their success in the AP exam this spring.

Marie Laverdiere, Business Editor

We are constantly reminded that FCPS provides us with a great education, one that is coveted by students in different parts of our country, and although often stressful, will lead us to great success.
It’s true that FCPS provides a great education and is located in a competitive area of the country (NOVA isn’t exactly known to be a vacation destination). In fact, according to the FCPS Profile, during the 2012-13 school year, FCPS held average senior SAT scores that were at least 55 points higher than the national average, and 40 points higher than the state average.
Great outcomes result from great expectations, and it’s not unusual to hear WS students complain about how much pressure they feel solely because they are enrolled in FCPS.
However, there is a problem in their logic; sure, some of the pressure comes from living in such a competitive area, but most of it is self-imposed or family-imposed. Isn’t it probable that students from school districts with scores lower than the national average feel pressured too?
There are students all over the world who will not settle for anything less than an A. There are parents all over the world who do not allow their child to settle for anything less than an A.
Those students are under the same amount of pressure as FCPS students. It’s likely that they are even more stressed because they are not given the same opportunities compared to us. They live in our same competitive world, but they have fewer resources.
We whine habitually over how hard we work, how late we stay up, and how tense our lives are. Our constant complaining makes us appear to be pity-seekers rather than high-achievers.
If, instead of continuously complaining, we accept the challenge FCPS provides us as an opportunity to develop, we will become individuals prepared for our futures. We can look at high school as one of the most trying parts of our lives, or as one of the most fruitful times of our lives. I choose to look at the glass as half full.
FCPS is preparing us for the real world. It might be tough, but it’s worth it. All we have to do is push through it so we are ready for our future.
In the words of Zig Ziglar, “The problem with pity parties is very few people come, and those who do don’t bring presents.”