DRIP, DRIP, DRIP

Photo courtesy of Leah Krompecher

Rusty water falling from the ceiling has dirtied our floors. This construction runoff threatens our safety and our good looks, too.

Leah Krompecher, Features Editor

Just because it’s not raining outside, doesn’t stop WS from flooding inside.
With all of the construction happening around us, it’s effecting the building, especially the ceilings, and obviously the missing windows.
The Driver’s Ed and the Personal Fitness hallway is the most affected area in the school: Rusty water falls from the ceiling, resulting in buckets and recycling bins being placed in the middle of the hallway to catch the water.
These buckets are obstacles when students are walking down the hallway, students want to avoid them while walking down the hallway, and that causes havoc.
Think about it: walking through a hallway that’s already crowded and having to step around buckets and messing up the flow of the other students walking.
By the entrance to the Weight Room, one of the lights has a crack in the glass, and so liquid from the lights dripped down on the floor. This left a stain on the ground in that hallway, but that’s only one out of many in that hallway.
There are stains from all the rusty water that fell from the ceiling. Just walk through that hallway; it looks like polka dots are all around the floor. You can step in them, and they won’t stain your shoes, but it’s still not appealing and it makes WS look even worse.
Water isn’t the only thing coming from the ceilings. Junior Sarah Pakyar had a white powdery substance fall on her head when she was walking to class one day. She put on a hat to cover it up, and when an administrator told her to take it off she explained why she had the hat on and they allowed her to keep it on.
It isn’t the administrators’ fault that stuff is falling from the ceiling and it isn’t their fault that the building doesn’t even have real ceilings. That’s just how it is with the construction, but there has to be some kind of temporary solution to stop the drip, drip, drip from happening.
It looks like the lights are barely hanging on to the ceilings, and they could fall at any moment.
With the “fire day” last month, and the cracks in the lights, the construction workers need to take more safety precautions. This building is still in use, and people are in here almost every day.
Is WS a safe learning environment with all this construction?