An overview of the 22nd Critics’ Choice Awards

Ryan Reynolds, winner of the Best Actor in a Comedy Award and the Entertainer of the Year Award, and Ryan Gosling, who was nominated for many Best Actor Awards, pose for a photo at the Critics’ Choice Awards.

Popsugar

Popsugar

Anya Hawkins, Managing Editor

The TV and movie award season is here and to kick it off is the 22nd annual Critics’ Choice Awards.
In the past The Critics’ Choice Awards have been a preview for the Golden Globes and the Oscars. This star-studded telecast was hosted by comedy actor TJ Miller and featured a diverse list of movies, ranging from the unique, gut-busting superhero comedy “Deadpool” to the acclaimed drama “Moonlight.”
Miller did a decent job as the host. While some of his earlier skits were funny, he seemed to do one too many bits. He pretended to shoot himself out of the cannon, which was a little over the top. He was not the worst host ever but maybe Jimmy Kimmel, who is hosting the Oscars, will take some notes.
Despite some comedies geared toward teenagers, a majority of these movies were probably unknown to most students at WS.
Honestly, movies like “La La Land,” “Manchester by the Sea,” “Moonlight,” and “Jackie” were likely only seen by from a small sliver of our student body.
From the 10 movies nominated for best picture, only two were really widely publicized, those being Alien Sci-Fi “Arrival” and the biography of pilot Chesley Sullenberger, “Sully.”
But this award show did not seem to care about how many people saw a certain movie.
Typically, raunchy comedies that do well with audiences don’t go home with best picture. The winning movies are the serious dramas or films that tackle social issues or have a beautiful inspirational theme.
Unsurprisingly, the dazzling musical “La La Land” starring Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling took home a total of eight awards, including best picture. Acting trophies were split with Natalie Portman who won for her performance of Jacqueline Kennedy in “Jackie” and Casey Affleck won for Best Actor for “Manchester by the Sea.”
Another actor who had an incredible night was Viola Davis. She won Best Supporting Actress for her role in “Fences” and also won the first-ever #SeeHer Award, which honors an actress who works to improve women’s reputation in the media.
“Deadpool” star Ryan Reynolds was named “Entertainer of the Year” and Best Actor in a Comedy.
“La La Land” was the big winner, while the rest of the awards were evenly shared among nominees. Now all that’s left is to see how many of these films are successful in the future award shows.

• An overview of the 22nd Critics’ Choice Awards

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up

Snow Day—finally!

Spartans take home 1st- and 2nd-place wins in prestigious contest

Special needs community celebrates accomplishments; works for acceptance

All that Jazz amazes us all