People get sensitive over Starbucks’ special cups

Starbucks advertises its line of festive holiday cups back in December. Not everyone took kindly to the decorative cups

Courtesy of Starbucks

Courtesy of Starbucks

Caroline Wittich, Oracle Page One Editor

“I’ll have a venti, no foam latte with one pack of sugar in the raw and three pumps of vanilla- oh and can I get one of those cute red cups please?”
When that ‘cute red cup’ was released by Starbucks earlier in the fall, it caused tensions to rise as people broadcast their opinions about the cups all over the internet.
The first cups were released this season were plain red ones, then Starbucks released another line which did include designs on the cups
With the earliest release of cups, some came out to say that they were an attack on Christianity; when the decorated ones came out, the number one complaint was that they were too “religiously affiliated” due to the presence of trees and lights which apparently relate too closely to Christmas.
Some believe that Starbucks should not affiliate with the holiday season at all because it causes too much of a havoc, but Starbucks probably appreciates all of the attention that comes with the constant arguments so it is doubtful they’ll remove the decorations.
What gets me is that people become so invested in something as innocent as spirited decorations on a coffee cup. It seems as if people these days are looking for ways to be offended. In a situation like this the issue boils down to the mindset and sensitivity of the consumer. If you do not like something- don’t buy it. Unless the product or person is offensive, stop spending time complaining about it.
Starbucks is not the only company sprucing their products up with holiday spirit, but people make it seem like Starbucks is out to get all people who aren’t Christian or into the holiday season.
More times than not, people aren’t satisfied with what they have and find something to complain about. The bottom line is that if someone doesn’t like a product for whatever reason, it’s as simple as this- do not invest money in it. Just don’t buy the product or affiliate with the company.

• People get sensitive over Starbucks’ special cups

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

Building trust

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up