‘Liars’ keep viewers on the edge

It’s no secret that ABC Family constantly chugs out trendy, yet mediocre dramas that are a breeding ground for poor acting and desperate plot twists, but “Pretty Little Liars” actually has some potential.

The television drama is molded off the book series of the same name by Sara Shepard. The fact that the series has basis on a preset group of novels should give the show structure and direction, with a set beginning and end.

Despite complaints that the actresses do not look the way their characters are depicted in the books, the show itself adheres pretty closely to the original story. The majority of the plot and even most of the dialogue is taken directly from the books and ABC Family does a good job of not deleting or adding minor characters.

On a scale of 1 to “Forrest Gump,” the acting deserves about a three. The actors do a pretty good job with what they have to work with. In both the book and the show everything that comes out of Alison’s mouth is forced and awkward, especially since most of her quips come in the form of text messages. Shepard tried so hard to illustrate Alison as the vision of perfection with a touch of malice that she forgot that Ali is supposed to be a real person.

Acting aside, the show is pretty fun. It creates a guilty pleasure watch as we viewers observe the title characters stumble over the dramas and relationships that all high schoolers deal with, enhanced by the addition of “A”. There is so much going on in the plot that you won’t want to miss a beat.

More than anything else the show offers suspense. Lots and lots of suspense. The girls receive creepy messages from “A” (whose identity has not yet been revealed in the show) via text, fortune cookie and lipstick messages on the mirror. It doesn’t hurt that it is a murder mystery, so there is always an aura of danger.

While it is debatable if the show or book series is better, one thing that shines in the show is the effects. I can’t vouch for lighting or camera angles, but I can say the costume designer deserves some serious snaps.

Not only are the wardrobes perfectly tailored to fit each character’s personality, but they are outfits that every girl can envy. The music is also pretty decent, even if it’s not what you have on your iPod.

The show may not be Emmy-worthy, but it’s something to look forward to on Monday nights and always gives fans something to talk about.