WS students encounter celebrities

Photo courtesy of Lauren Gagliano

Junior Lauren Gagliano poses with Ginny Thrasher, who shows off her gold medal for air rifle. Thrasher is a WS alumnus and won their first medal of the 2016 games.

Rachel St. Pierre, Entertainment Editor

Lights, camera, action. Whether an athlete, an actor, a singer, or a YouTube sensation, celebrities are creating fanbases of high school students who strive to meet them.

WS students have collectively met numerous celebrities including athletes, musicians, and YouTubers.

Junior Becca Giles had a celebrity encounter a few years ago.

“So when I was probably seven years old i met LeBron James and Dwayne Wade after a Wizards game. They were playing for the Heat at the time and my childhood best friend’s cousin was the Heat’s coach, so he got us VIP passes to meet the players,” said Giles.

A common question about celebrities is whether they put on a show for the cameras and act differently in person.

“LeBron James and Dwayne Wade were super friendly and were patient in talking to us even though the rest of their team was heading into the locker room. They signed a few autographs for us and took a picture with us. It was so cool to meet them and see how down to earth they are,” said Giles.

Along with athletes, high school students also enjoy watching popular YouTubers.

Junior Lauren Basham met popular Youtuber Troye Sivan.

“I met him at a club in Hawaii called The Republik at a Youtubers convention. I was about twelve years old,” said Basham.

Many YouTubers double as musicians too, broadening their fanbases.

“I was actually a bigger fan of the other YouTubers, but Troye was interesting to me because he was a singer as well as a Youtuber,” said Basham.

Although many students meet their favorite celebrities, the experience doesn’t always live up to their expectations. Most times however, it still becomes a memorable experience.

“His [Troye’s] smile is super adorable so that is what stuck with me. But the meet-and-greet portion went by really fast so it was a little impersonal,” said Basham.

Junior Ryan Lipton had a celebrity encounter of his own as he met Darius Rucker, famous country singer.

“My dad’s best friend was in his band. He was the lead guitarist, so we went on tour with them and were in their trailer during a show” said Lipton.

Although they may be short lived, WS students concluded that meeting their favorite stars has proven to be an awe-inspiring experience.

“They’re famous but they were chill. They were just regular guys and weren’t like ‘I’m famous, I’m so much better than you’” said Lipton.