Fish are friends, also delicious food

In+the+sushi+business%2C+presentation+is+half+the+product+value%2C+making+it+a+prime+target+for+artsty+pictures.+
In the sushi business, presentation is half the product value, making it a prime target for artsty pictures.

Nora Boyle

Nora Boyle

Nora Boyle, Oracle Editor

California rolls from your local grocery store seem about all you can get for sushi in Springfield, Virginia.
If you are looking to up your sushi game, you have come to the right place. Sushi is a Japanese food that features rice and a variety of raw or cooked fish, or pickled vegetables. Don’t be confused though, it is absolutely delicious.
For those looking to steer away from Whole Foods’ sushi, I say try Kumo Asian Bistro in Kingstowne, Alexandria, first. It is right by the Lucky’s in that little shopping complex. Kumo is a more Americanized Japanese restaurant. They have a variety of rolls and sashimi (which is just plain raw fish, which could be put on top of rice if you wish). For beginners, I suggest the lobster tempura roll, and California roll. The lobster tempura roll is deep fried lobster with lettuce, avocado, and masago (raw fish eggs) wrapped in rice and soy bean paper with a sweet “special sauce” on top. This is a great beginner roll because it is entirely cooked, nothing raw about it. The California roll contains imitation crab, avocado, and cucumber in seaweed and rice. Again, nothing raw, just a plain and simple, yet delicious dinner.
Another Kingstowne native is East Moon Bistro. Located right next to the Bonefish Grill, East Moon has an awesome décor, and an even better menu. My favorite roll is the Kiss of Fire Roll. It’s raw, unlike the ones at Kumo, and has jalapeno, cucumber, avocado, and tempura flakes on the inside and on top is pepper, tuna, and avocado. It is spicy but so delicious. It goes so well with the interior of the restaurant. East Moon has very creative rolls, some work out well, others not so much. Their menu is not just sushi though. They have awesome Thai and Chinese dishes. East Moon is all around a great place, except chocolate milk is nowhere to be found on the menu.
Last but not least, is a gem in the blue roof shopping complex right by Springfield mall, called Osaka. Osaka is probably the most cultured out of the three. They have a huge variety of sushi, and it is the least expensive. Osaka takes a lunch break from 3-5 o’clock and opens again at 5:30 so be careful when you are planning on getting your raw fish fix. The best roll at Osaka is the paradise roll. It is shrimp tempura and avocado on the inside topped with a sweet and spicy crab on top. It is so so good. The only problem with Osaka is you have to be very careful of what you order. Don’t order more than 4 rolls. You’ll regret it. It is still an excellent bang for your buck,though.

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Building trust

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

• Fish are friends, also delicious food

Global warming gears up

Fish are friends, also delicious food