Roop says goodbye

One might think being a high school math teacher could be a high stress job; kids falling asleep during notes, “forgetting” their homework, and the constant misplacement of classroom calculators.

However, after 25 years in the math department, AP Calculus teacher Beth Roop retired “Roop’s Troops” with the same smile on her face as when the grand army was established over two decades ago.

While being a widely respected math teacher, arguably Roop’s greatest impact to the school has been her involvement in the community, and the connection she’s made with her students.

Roop was a class sponsor five different years, the most recent being the Class of 2008. Her classroom is lined with posters of previous classes she sponsored and taught, made for her by her beloved students.

“I love being involved in proms and homecomings,” said Roop. “I’ve probably built 25 floats, sometimes being part of multiple floats the same year.”

She has also been a big supporter of Spartan Athletics. Four out of five of Roop’s children graduated from WS, two of whom won state championships with the Lady Spartans basketball team, and one who won with the Lady Spartans soccer team.

“That was my defining moment as a parent, and a Spartan. Watching my kids win states is something that I’ll never forget,” said Roop. 

In the classroom, Roop established a homey feel by reaching out and caring about her students instead of being just another teacher. Interested in her students’ lives outside of school, she would make kids feel comfortable right off the bat.

“She made math a lot easier for me,” said senior Michael Kim. “She really cared about her students understanding the subject and helped out whichever way she could.”

Her colleagues also have a tremendous respect for Roop and her way of connecting with students; Roop has even extended her influence to other teachers here. Her influence started at home, as Roop’s daughter Shannon Rapoza teaches math here as well. This is not to say that only Rapoza was influenced by Roop’s friendly nature­—many other teachers felt welcomed by her at the beginning of their Spartan careers.

“I remember in 2000, it was my first year of Calculus and [Roop] and I had the same off period. She really reached out and became a mentor to me and we became really good friends. She’s going to be missed,” said  fellow Calculus teacher Sharon Hauser.

One of the neatest things Roop brought to the school was the establishment of Roop’s Troops. Wanting to pay respect and show their appreciation to their teacher, students make shirts every year to be worn on the day of the AP Calculus exam, proud to be members of Roop’s Troops.

“Sometimes my kids will tell me that they’ve seen another student on [their college] campus wearing a Roop’s Troops t-shirt, so that’s always cool to hear,” said Roop.

Roop’s last official day was October 29. Her focus in her retirement is to care for her three grandchildren. She is also privately tutoring students and might teach a Calculus class at George Mason.

“I’m going to miss the faculty and the students,” said Roop. “But it’s not like I’m counting down the days or anything,”