Strickland makes net gain against malaria

Every 60 seconds, a child in Africa dies from malaria. Junior Kevin Strickland has been fighting the spread of malaria through the Nothing but Nets project, which is a campaign to raise awareness and provide funds to fight malaria.
Malaria is the leading cause of death among children in Africa. This campaign has partners with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, NBA Cares, The People of the United Methodist Church, MLS Works, the Union for Reform Judaism, and Junior Chamber International.
This project is eligible for all to join the fight with a contribution of $10 to send a net and save a life. The United Nations founded this project which sends an insecticide-treated bed net to a child in Africa with the donation of $10.
One bed net can shield about five to seven children. They do not have the treatments to stop the spread of malaria in Africa.
Strickland began his involvement in the project in eighth grade and has continued his efforts throughout high school.
“I first became interested in the program after watching an advertisement from Hulu,” said Strickland. “I decided for my service learning project that I would get involved with this great cause.”
His passion for the campaign to end malaria is growing and he has become fully dedicated to preventing the spread of malaria once and for all.
“I believe that our efforts can help end malaria because it is a disease that is easily preventable with the help of these nets,” said Strickland.
Strickland hosts many bake sales throughout the year to raise money to donate to Nothing but Nets. He spends his time preparing goodies such as homemade breads, cookies, and cupcakes to sell for the bake sale in hopes of raising money for the cause. Strickland has set a goal of raising $10,000 and he hopes to have the opportunity to go down to Africa and directly give out the bed nets.
“I have raised over $6,000 for this project and I have protected 600 families in Africa,” said Strickland.
Strickland’s efforts to raise money have not gone unnoticed.
He recently was awarded as a Nothing but Nets champion, where he met with Congress members in DC in recognition of his efforts to end malaria. This award has only been given to 20 other partners in the project which exemplifies its significance.
“Something just clicked with me that I can help others with participation in the project,” said Strickland. “Malaria is spread by a tiny little insect and it is quite easy to stop with nets.”
A little can go a long way with this cause, help Kevin with awareness and visit www.nothingbutnets.net