Tackling life one national rugby tournament at a time

Unusually busy weekends practicing their favorite past time for sophomores Elizabeth Wilson and Abby Tobias lead to great success in the elite rugby world.

Rugby is an English game that is gaining a major popularity in North America. It’s rough and dangerous involving running, throwing, and tackling.

On February 11th -14th Wilson and Tobias competed, on separate teams, in the largest rugby tournament in North America held in Las Vegas. Players are evaluated and then chosen to compete for high level teams all the way across the country.

Wilson was scouted by the U16 team called “Atlantis.”

“For U16 Atlantis, I go down to Vegas, practice for one day then compete in the tournament,” said Wilson.

For Wilson, Rugby is one of the most important things in her life, and she competes in other tournaments that get her known in the rugby world.

“In the summer, I got invited to the Stars and Stripes camp in Denver, Colorado with Abby and we were the only freshmen,” said Wilson.

Tobias also competes in high level tournaments so teams like the “Vegas Sevens” can scout her for the Las Vegas invitational.

“It’s a lot about the dedication and willingness to put in work and be the best you can be,” said Tobias.

With these elite tournaments and playing for National caliber teams, Wilson and Tobias get noticed by many division one colleges. Ultimately, Wilson and Tobias help their team and stand out on the field making schools drool over them.

“I would like to play in college, I’m keeping my options open though,” said Wilson.

Dartmouth, Notre Dame, and Mary Washington have all showed their beaming interest in Wilson and Tobias. Being only sophomores, Wilson and Tobias keep an open and modest mind about their future.

“Division one teams are interested but I’m definitely undecided,” said Tobias. Playing rugby at this level requires tons of time and effort. Wilson and Tobias focus much of their time on getting better and being noticed while still balancing school, social lives, and other sports.

“Much of it is about the dedication and passion for the game,” said Tobias.

Sacrifices must be made in order to be at such a high level. Rugby is one of the many priorities in these girl’s lives. They are more than dedicated and strive to do their best when it comes to the sport they love.

“I truly love the game, the atmosphere, and the teammates are amazing,” said Tobias.