Planet Fitness comes to Springfield

Photo courtesy of Sophie Shidlovsky

Planet Fitness’ setup for the new Springfield space.

Sophie Shidlovsky, Oracle Staff Writer

Throughout the previous four years, Springfield citizens have witnessed 8430 Old Keene Mill Rd transformed before their eyes. Beginning as a Washington Sports Club quickly changed into Glo Golf (glow-in-the-dark mini golf) and now will be converted into a Planet Fitness.
With One Life Fitness, a major gym-goer hot spot within the Springfield/Burke community, Planet Fitness may have competition between other gyms.
“Planet Fitness will succeed because of its price. Essentially because it’s $1 down, $10 dollars a month. Even though One Life is down the street it will succeed just because of its price.” said senior Danish Tanveer.
Planet Fitness offers two types of memberships both offering free merchandise and other amenities such as unlimited club access, message chairs, half price cooler drinks and 20% off Reebok products along with being walking distance from many other stores. Though the initial membership price seems promising, both One Life and Planet Fitness’ annual prices will match up fairly even. Planet Fitness is also bringing new jobs to the Springfield area. Planet Fitness is actively searching for employees for the front desk, Customer Service Representatives, Trainers and Maintenance.
The concern with Planet Fitness’ new arrival is the lack of variety the gym has to offer. One Life offers various weight lifting equipment, a basketball court and a swimming pool.
“I thought about joining One Life for the pool because it’s close and wouldn’t have to pay the price of a rec center” said sophomore swimmer Joshua Chapman.
Though Planet Fitness lacks some conveniences, its “No Judgement Zone” creates a positive environment for members, appealing to customers who often feel “Gymtimidated.” Planet Fitness also appeals to various WS citizens who live within walking distance of the Old Keene Mill Road Shopping Center.
“I would definitely consider switching over the Planet Fittness because it’s a lot closer to my house, my family used to go to Washington Sports Club but since it closed we joined One Life” said senior Gloria Diamond.
Though the exact opening date to the Springfield Planet Fitness is not yet confirmed, a Manassas Planet Fitness employee did confirm the Springfield Planet Fitness will be opening within the next two months.
“Planet Fitness be successful because of its competitive prices and its great location” said Diamond.