Parking is driving students crazy

Brittany Norris, Oracle Editor

Due the school’s conditions, WS has failed to offer sufficient parking spots to upperclassmen this school year.
Students have had to trek miles to school due to the lack of available parking this year; this has resulted in angry upperclassmen unable to get that perfect parking spot that allows them to roll out of bed just minutes before school starts.
“The limited parking is really annoying, especially when I walk through the empty unused spaces every day,” said junior Ford Phillips.
The administration has tried to issue spots to seniors, but unfortunately, they couldn’t give away a parking spot to every person. They were able to spare approximately 61 spots to various seniors and the other 400 are left walking miles to and from school every day.
“It’s very frustrating and it makes me really dislike the situation because I have to walk half a mile to get to school,” said senior Jake Williams. “Once January comes around, I’m going to be walking through the snow and will be even later than I already am.”
Tardiness has always been evident in the school system, including WS, but this year due to the unavailable parking and the long walk to and from the trailers, tardiness has been an even bigger problem for students. Having to walk that extra 15 minutes to school, instead of three from the parking lot takes a toll on a student and inevitably causes them to be tardy.
“I’ve been tardy about three times the past two weeks [due to the parking situation],” said senior Kinsey Mooneyhan.
Not only is tardiness a hot issue within the parking situation, but students, teachers even, don’t understand why we can’t make other parking available. There’s apparently tons of room where the tennis courts are that we could potentially use as temporary parking for students, along with the visitor parking spots at the entrance to door one.
“They could’ve built a different parking lot over the summer when they picked the teacher parking,” said Williams.
Administration is at a loss. They cannot sell as many parking spots as they wish they could, and the students of WS are just going to have to cope with it. We’re all in the same situation and need to accept this unfortunate fate as we embrace our half put together school.
“I wish we didn’t have limited parking at WS, but I can’t say I hate it because [administration] can’t control it,” said Mooneyhan.