Holiday volunteering opportunities for the Spartan community

Photo courtesy of Shafuq Naseem

Volunteers at SOME serve breakfast from 6:30 – 9:30 and lunch from 10:15 – 1:15. They typically serve over a hundred individuals in the DC area who are experiencing poverty.

Shafuq Naseem, Oracle Editor

The holiday season is perfect time to bond with family, and friends, or relaxing at home, but what many do not realize is that it’s also the perfect time to give back to our community.

I started volunteering with S.O.M.E in the beginning of October, and it has been one of the best experiences I have ever had. S.O.M.E is a community-based service organization located in North West D.C. that is designed to support those experiencing homelessness and poverty in the DC area. I volunteer in both the soup kitchen, and the donations room where volunteers and I organize personal hygiene items for the homeless. I strongly recommend to all students, but it is easier for those who have guaranteed transportation into D.C., as well as those who do not mind being on their feet for four or more consecutive hours. I see so many families and friends volunteer together, so you do not have to go individually. (For more info, go to https://www.some.org/about)

If you are more interested in volunteering in a quieter, local area I suggest looking into the opportunities available at Pohick Library. This is especially recommended for students who enjoy organizing and do not mind working individually. There is a lot of work to be done organizing books. If you are more interactive, and not as organized I strongly recommend volunteering with GIVE, a non-profit organization that provides tutoring for students K-6. This volunteering opportunity is also available at Pohick Library. Volunteers pair up with a student who needs tutoring and help with projects or homework assignments for any subject they choose. The tutoring sessions are every Saturday and last two hours. (For more info, email [email protected])

“Our mission is to promote youth leadership in their communities and provide resources to underprivileged students through these free mentoring sessions at libraries across Northern Virginia,” said senior Soha Mohammed who is the manager for the GIVE program at Pohick Library.

Another volunteering activity for students who enjoy being more interactive would be to host a bake sale for a charity that is important to you. I did this in the beginning of December and decided to raise money for child hunger in America. The No Kid Hungry/Share Our Strength campaign provides a vast number of resources for students interested in raising money for them such as flyer templates, information guides to hand out, as well as a “six-week plan” for organizing the bake sale. This is one activity you can do with friends and family, and still have a great impact on our community. This does take more organization on the student’s part, so I recommend this for individuals who are willing to commit to a project. (For more info, go to https://bake.nokidhungry.org/)

At times during the holiday season, we tend to become consumed with the material meaning of holidays, which is why it is important to take some time to give back to the community.