Is the trimester system feasible?

Photo courtesy of Annandale Connection

Fairfax County residents met recently at a school board hearing to discuss the FCPS budget. Dividing the school year into trimesters is one suggestion that could help the County and the state balance the books.

Kathleen Amann, Viewpoint Editor

The trimester format in school systems, where the year is split into three pieces instead of two, has grown in popularity over the past two decades. FCPS is debating implemenring this model in its schools.
The intention of the trimester schedule is to help relieve the plummeting budget that is ravaging the county. With the new system, FCPS wouldn’t need as many teachers as they have now, because the system requires five classes a day instead of seven.
Though many people think this decision comes from our principal, Michael Mukai, the real choice is made by his superiors.
“The school board was asked to think about budget cuts and this is one of the top competitors. [Teachers] should begin to think about how the planning schedule will change if the trimester format begins. Although the trimester schedule isn’t planned to begin in the near future, we should prepare now. This is the big game changer. We would have one more semester class, which means one more elective for students to choose. And that’s good for students,” as he explains that there is no time frame as to when the tranistion may happen. Whether or not FCPS students agree to this new schedule, it has a high chance of taking place.
When asked what they think the probable change, students were split.
“I don’t think it will be a good idea because the workload will be way too much to handle.,” said senior Polina Kovalchuk. “We would have homework every night for five classes—that’s a lot!”
“Cutting teachers is not the best way to reform the budget,” said Kovalchuk. “They are the most important part of education.”
The opposing view of students, like junior Yurie Choe, think that we should cut teachers instead of activities. “Cutting teachers is better than cutting extra-curricular activities because students should stay involved and active in school,” said Choe. “ At first it would be pretty tough to get used to, but in the long run it will be beneficial. “
The most interesting part of cutting teachers is that the survivors will receive raises, possibly significant ones. The fact of the matter is, however, that this is FCPS’s most forseeable solution, and they have their fingers crossed that it is the best one.
“Fairfax County has to compete with other counties that pay teachers more. It costs 19 million dollars to give every teacher in FCPS a 1 percent raise. The school board intends to give every teacher a seven percent raise. You do the math, that’s a lot of money,” said Mukai.