New plans for new year a love-hate relationship

Photo courtesy of Silvia Ascarelli

Caroline Wittich, Page One Editor

Cheers to the New Year! The opportunity to make ourselves the best we can be is at our fingertips, yet the challenge of a resolution often comes as a burden.
Resolutions range from big life changing ones like losing weight, to smaller changes like opening the door for people or giving up soda. Whatever it is, it takes thought and hard work to succeed in reaching the goal and retain it for an entire year.
“I really want to find a way to reduce stress,” said junior Kat Rambo.
Like Rambo’s, a lot of goals are set to benefit a person long term and for a lot of students, they involve something associated with school because that is what we spend the most of our time involved with.
For others, resolutions are thoughtless or involve low effort because people know that keeping something up for 365 days is out of their reach. New Year’s Resolutions have been encouraged since a young age so the idea is not new to many. The issue that many people run into, is that even though it offers the perfect opportunity for a clean slate, keeping a goal for an entire year is hard work.
When people make them, some aim low and some aim high; usually the ones aiming low have already experienced the failed attempts of extravagant resolutions set in earlier years.
“Honestly, I wanna finally become a baller” said junior Rayna Burmeister.
Sometimes resolutions kick start a new beneficial lifestyle, while the more common turnout of resolutions is a failed attempt at something a little too out of reach.