Take care of your mental health, too

Photo courtesy of Erin Newby

Students use school resources for a variety of reasons, including to ask questions about college and other academic concerns. Mental health is also becoming an increasingly important issue.

Erin Newby, Oracle Editor

Most teenagers nowadays know how important mental health is and that it is important to take care of one’s self.
All public schools are supposed to have certain “helpers” along the way in case students feel the need to reach out and ask for help.
“All schools have response services and begin to have conversations with people can help you. If your leg was hurting you would go to a doctor; people need to have the same attitude towards mental health,” said counselor Kathleen Sokolove.
What is not widely know is how many resources we have here that deal with mental health.
There is a depression screening to try and gage how certain students might feel and it helps the school know who may or may not need extra help.
Other more private resources are available too, such as Crisis Link, which is a phone number that you can text from your mobile device whenever you need to talk to someone if your counselor is not available.
“Thinking is different for every person. The brain is the most complex organ in the body,” said Sokolove.
Students need to understand that mental health is something you must take care of; the ways you use to cope with certain stresses in life can make or break you.
WS is here to help when it comes to mental health and there are many different resources available to help kids who may be suffering and there are people who are willing to listen to what they have to say.
“Teachers have gone through training to help students in crisis. We have a crisis team that can reach out to different schools and a school psychologist and school social worker that help out,” said Director of Student Services Malicia Braxton.
All the people who are working with the students have some kind of background training to help students but the most important thing anyone can do for someone who is dealing with some form of mental health issue is to listen to them and be supportive.
WS has many ways to help students who are dealing with rough times; students should be able to find an adult or someone to confide in.
“Just be an ear,” said Braxton.
But sometimes it can be a bit difficult for students to get to see a counselor or someone they trust.
“I think it is damn near non-existent; I do not think students are able to access help themselves,” said senior Leilani Kavanagh.
When it’s hard to find someone to talk to, this can be frustrating to some students. Letting students know where to turn for help would satisfy this need.
“Send e-mails home; make sure students know. Put a poster in the bathroom, in the hallway; be able to touch base,” said Kavanagh.