Fires sweeping across California

Firefighters are battling the natural disaster that has consumed the state on a daily basis.

Photo courtesy of Marcia Jose Sanchez

Rachel St. Pierre, Features Editor

Over 250,000 acres burned, 11,000 firefighters have risked their lives, and 12 deadly wildfires all over the Golden State.
Recent deadly wildfires have spread all over California, destroying everything in its path, including the lives of more than 4,100 people. This 2017 winter in California differed from previous seasons in that it left hills covered in coarse grass. Over the dry hot summer, the new vegetation dried out which created new fuel to spread wildfires.
These wildfires have not only impacted those on the West Coast, but also people all over the country, including some here at WS.
Living in DC, our community is flourishing with people from all over United States. Junior David Giorges just moved here from Orange County, California after living there his whole life.
“When I lived there, I would sometimes look out there and see smoke,” said Giorges.
Although Giorges is no longer living in California, the fires still affect him due to the family and friends he left in his old home.
“When I see my friends, [snapchat], stories [about the fires], I hope nothing bad happens to them. I hope they’re alright,” said Giorges.
In California, there are two distinct wildfire seasons. The first season, usually from October to April, includes fires produced by the Santa Ana winds. The other season of wildfires occurs in the summer months, as wildfires are driven by the intense heat from June to September. Santa Ana fires spread faster than the heat induced fires, which are considered to be less intense.
The wildfires have also had an impact on another WS student. Senior Scott Blackburn moved here from Southern California seven years ago.
“No fires ever affected me while I was living there,” said Blackburn.
Officials all over California have been taking safety precautions to ensure the comfort of the state’s residents, and in order to prevent the harm of citizens and their homes. It was enforced that they drive animals to safety, and take actions to protect their houses from the deadly flames.
Due to California’s climate changes, wildfires have been affecting citizens of California for years. These fires have devastated homes, communities, and the economy of the state. Many jobs have been put at risk and companies important to the state of California are at stake to go out of business.
The California fires have left a destructive path and created tragedies all over the West Coast.
“It was devastating to watch families of California suffer through these wildfires,” said sophomore Cullen Vasquez.