Students enjoy the snow days

Photo courtesy of Naomi Hill

Senior Naomi Hills takes advantage of the snow day to pose for a photo.

Molly Haynes, Oracle Staff Writer

“Fairfax County Public Schools will be closed tomorrow.” This phrase is well known and well loved by students across the county.
There are different ways school closures are decided. The county seems to be fairly inconsistent with its criteria for what they deem “inclement weather.”  Many remember the grave mistake that was made on January 6, 2015 when the county refused to close school despite snow, leading to an ice-related bus accident.
Generally, a decision about school closures and delayed opening is made around 4:30 AM if not the night before, and the community is notified no later than 5:15 AM that morning. If main roads and sidewalks are deemed a hazard, there is usually a good chance that school will be closed.
However, there have been days when school closes despite pleasant weather in Springfield. This is due to the large area that Fairfax County covers, much of which is in more rural areas. Closing only part of the county would be inconvenient and confusing, so it is easier to simply close the whole county.
Regardless of why school is canceled, it is almost guaranteed that a good time will be had by all. Some students use the free day to binge their favorite shows that school has interfered with.
“I hang out with my younger sister and do some good ol’ binge watching on Netflix,” said junior Elisa Fritzsche.
Others try to correct their sleep cycles.
“I just sleep,” said freshman Trey London.
A select few utilize their days off in interesting ways.
“I go on snow runs. I like to violently slip and slide on the ice,” said senior Caroline Tyler.