Celebrating Black History month

Photo courtesy of wshsbsu Instagram

WS students dress up for Culture day to celebrate Black History Month.

Caroline Wittich, Oracle Editor

Black History Month has rolled around again, and with that so has the annual student-led assembly put on by the Black Student Union Club here at WS.
This year’s assembly was preceded by a spirit week with students encouraged to participate by dressing up with corresponding outfits for each day’s theme. There was Culture day, College day, Dress to Impress day, 90’s Decade day, and Friday was a Blackout.
“I did four out of the five spirit days, and even though not everyone participated, they honestly were super fun because I felt connected to the people who did participate,” said junior Rebecca Geiger.
Because Black History Month only occurs once a year, the assembly is much anticipated by students each year as it often sparks conversation and sometimes debate among students. Black Student Union switches things up year to year so that it does not get repetitive.
“It gives us a chance to celebrate black excellence and all of our accomplishments: it also lets us educates people,” said junior Jasmine Blair.
There were multiple aspects to this year’s assembly, some being serious while other parts of it were meant to be humorous. The balance kept spectators engaged, as did the outspoken statements of many WS students. At points where things got serious, the one single spotlight added intensity to the moment and also to whatever that student was saying to the crowd.
“This year we got some backlash from the kneeling part, so I think we should try to explain ourselves more when it comes to controversial topics,” said junior Nyera Ofusu-Davis, who took part in the assembly.
Black History Month has different personal meanings to everyone, to senior Rachel Gray, it is a celebration.
“BHM is a month to celebrate the culture of African Americans and acknowledge all the great work they have done and continue to do in the world,” said Gray.
As there is, and has been, serious concern over the treatment of different minorities in America still to this day, the BSU included nods to other races and the reality that they face discrimination in the world today.
“The spirit days remind students of how looking back at black history, it doesn’t all have to be sad, they lighten the mood and remind people of the rich culture,” said Ofusu-Davis.