National Honor Society inducts new members

Family members and peers look as the induction ceremony takes place in the new cafeteria.

Abby Strong

Abby Strong, Oracle Online Editor

Scholarship, leadership, service and character are the principles of the National Honor Society (NHS). Recently, the NHS inducted juniors and seniors who display these qualities into the society.
After being deemed eligible through having a GPA of 3.5 or higher, students receive a letter providing information on the application process for NHS. The application consists of filling out information regarding how students have applied the four principles of NHS to their lives. “[The application process] was reasonable and made it so I could focus on my strengths,” said junior Abbigale Baker.
Once the applications are submitted,  a committee of five teachers who look over every application and select which students should be inducted into NHS. Two of the committee members are chemistry teachers and NHS sponsors Linda Gillespie and Janet Hughes. They are both new to sponsoring the society this year.
“When [the committee] selects members for NHS, we expect the members to attend meetings and gain service hours,” said Hughes.
Soon after applicants have been accepted into the society, letters are sent to their homes addressing their acceptance, and information is provided regarding the induction ceremony details. The induction ceremony is a formal commemoration for the inductees where short speeches are given by the NHS sponsors, officers and president of NHS about what the society stands for. At the end of the ceremony, the inductees take a pledge which reflect the NHS four principles.
“I really liked the speeches given and I thought the event was well organized,” said junior Julia Rondeau.
Some new inductees feel a high responsibility to perform better in school and hold themselves to a higher standard as now apart of NHS.
“I feel I need to be more punctual and try managing my time better as being a part of the society,” said Baker.
Many new inductees found NHS to be a great opportunity to learn and grow from as they are now required to become involved in community service activities.
“I plan on volunteering for Hunt Valley Elementary with helping at their festivals and parties,” said junior Haleigh Morris.
The overall atmosphere of NHS is one that is eager to help the community. The society hopes to meet the needs of WS in any way they can.
“I hope by the end of any member’s time in NHS they can get a sense of volunteerism and leadership and feel accomplishment,” said Hughes.

• National Honor Society inducts new members

Saying goodbye to beloved teachers: Retirements at WS

Oracle Person of the Year: Nathanael Mengistie

Music departments travel to Chicago

WS students recognized at DECA competition

Students stress to get points

• News

Gun control protest on Capitol Hill

Come Into the Woods with the WS drama department

WS DECA students compete

Senior art show amazes attendees

Spring pep rally promotes school spirit